Monday, October 5, 2009

Mindless rambling & reflective thoughts

I read a great quote yesterday. It reads "My idea of a good time at 25 is exactly what I called a wasted night at 20". I don't think I could have put it any better.

Bill, Steve and I recently moved into a new house (you knew that). I think my favorite part of living in a house rather than an apartment is not the ability to make more noise and not piss off the neighborhood, but rather the chance to get away from people if I want to. I mean, seriously - the older I get, the less I like being around groups of people - especially large groups of people in bars looking to get laid or drunk or both.

I find myself enjoying quiet nights NOT talking to people, and ignoring all communication from the outside world except for people with whom I actually want to interact. As Bill knows, I'm somewhat of a control freak. Nothing gives me the feeling of being in control like hitting the "ignore" button on my cell phone, so if you happen to be the one calling me, deal with it.

It got me thinking of where I made the transition from always being up and ready to be spontaneous at a moment's notice to drab, boring, and content. I think that while in terms of numbers, the distance between 20 & 25 seems to be just a matter of a few years, I feel that in reality, the actual distance is much greater; with some exceptions, of course.

This distance, in my opinion, is due to the amount of responsibility and life circumstances that someone faces at these certain points in their lives. For example, picture me as a 20 year old - long, flowing blond hair (picture Fabio, if Fabio wasn't weird, only hotter), women begging for my "digits", skipping classes, burning couches, rocking out with my band on a nightly basis...McDonalds as my personal nutritionist...you get the picture. Then picture me now - short, easy to manage hair (or lack of it), business job, volunteer teacher, cat caretaker, still rocking out with a band, only one roommate instead of 5...It's obvious my life has changed quite a bit. I wouldn't change a thing though. The main difference, however, is how I choose to spend my free time. I don't watch nearly the amount of TV I used to, and my relationships with those around me have become more and more meaningful - so has the opportunity for silence.

Looking through the lens of a 20 year old Lucas, I would probably think that my life right now is pretty boring. Through my 25 year old wisdom, I think it's just right. I've learned to appreciate any downtime and opportunity to unwind. When I get those opportunities, I think I'm a better person to be around, too.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for me. It only took me a week to post this after I started writing it...

No comments:

Post a Comment