Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's about time

It's been said that 'Time waits for no man'. Yet man usually has to wait for a long TIME. I think that Time has been shoving us around for too long. With that said, here is my triumphant inaugural post for ACNS:

Several years back, every once in a while someone at whatever workplace I was at would say to me 'I think I've seen you some place before'.. And this happened enough times to make me give all of this some idle thought. And I came to this conclusion: In the not-too-distant future, time travel will become possible and I will travel back to this decade (the 2000s--what else can this stupid decade be called?) for God knows what purpose, if any.

How ELSE would explain why these people claimed to have seen me before? Maybe they HAD! Here's my line of thinking back in 2003/2004 (when I seriously considered this nonsense):

-None of these people who told me this had met one another.
-The reason why I myself had not seen any of my 'doppelgangers' is I (my future self) took great pains to not be seen by me (my past, er then-present self). Think of Back to the Future Part II when Marty McFly goes back to 1955 and sees himself during his first 'trip' to 1955, playing 'Johnny B. Goode'. He made it clear that he didn't want his guitar playing self to see his 'present' self. If I traveled back in time to within my lifetime, I too would take pains to not run into me.
-I'm usually not a good conversationalist. And 'Present me' talking with 'Future me' would go something like this:

"So what's it like in 2025?"
"Don't bet on the Sox in the 2023 World Series."
"You didn't answer my question."
"I don't have time for this, kid." (Walks off mumbling darkly to himself, probably bitter about the BosSox losing in the 7th game.)

Then 'Present me' would want to get even with 'Future me' by making a lot of stupid decisions just to cause a lot of potential headaches for 'Future me' down the road. Because nobody messes with me, see? Not even me. (Hm...wait a minute...)

So fast forward to late 2009. No more 'sightings' of me's have surfaced. And if people mistook me for someone else when I was 20, I don't think my future time-traveling self would resemble me enough--I'm rather more portly now. That and I don't think tampering with God's domain in the space-time continuum could ever become reality in the future, no matter how far technology has progressed. There are limits to humanity's capabilities, after all. (Just look to our spiritual and moral compass, Barack Obama. He couldn't even bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago. With friggin' Oprah's help, no less!)

No comments:

Post a Comment