Monday, June 1, 2009

Micromanaging...

I really don't know how accountants do it. I have spent the past 2 days at work creating and compiling roughly 25 or 30 forecast spreadsheets for my boss. My brain hurts from scrutinizing every detail and every number making sure they are right before I turn in each report - inevitably they come back marked in red ink with an air of overbearing urgency.

I can't profess to be absolved from my own contributions to the situation, but when did we migrate to a culture of micromanagers? People are scared to speak out because they will offend somebody somewhere if their opinion doesn't fit with the societal or institutional norms on an issue. You could pick up nearly any magazine in the grocery store and see pictures or a story of someone doing something outrageous or controversial, and subsequently being crucified for their lack of thoughtfulness.

I have been having a few seperate conversations with some friends on the matter of Christopher West's recent Nightline appearance (as well as his general method of going about his work), and I have seen plenty of people up in arms over his "vulgarity" or "crassness" in talking about Theology of the Body. I feel like some of this criticizm is fair and deserved, but he has been overly scrutinized and sucker-punched to the point where many fail to realize the good that he has done for the Church in his ministry. We are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't mean to make this about the debate over Christopher West & his approach to ministry, but I'm using it as an example of the way our society is overly vigilant in condemning those who step out of the norm...

I might not even be making sense to anybody right now anyway...my head's too clouded with the perfect spreadsheets I just created.



No comments:

Post a Comment